Minutes of X3T10 SCC Working Group Meeting - July 19, 1994

John Lohmeyer jlohmeye at ncr-mpd.FtCollinsCO.NCR.COM
Mon Aug 1 15:05:48 PDT 1994

Accredited Standards Committee
X3, Information Processing Systems
                                                   Doc. No.: X3T10/94-145r1
                                                       Date: August 1, 1994
                                                    Project:          1047D
                                                  Ref. Doc.:
                                                   Reply to:     G. Penokie

To:        Membership of X3T10

From:      George Penokie and Ruben Yomtobian

Subject:   Minutes of X3T10 SCC Working Group Meeting - July 19, 1994


1. Opening Remarks
2. Attendance and Membership
3. Approval of Agenda
4. Report on last RAID Working Group
5. SCSI-3 Controller Commands  Working Draft (1047D Rev 0) Penokie
6. Action Items
7. Meeting Schedule

8. Adjournment

                               Results of Meeting

1.      Opening Remarks

George Penokie convened the meeting at 9:00 am, Tuesday, July 19, 1994.  He
thanked Ralph Weber of Digital for hosting the meeting.

As is customary, the people attending introduced themselves.  A copy of the
attendance list was circulated for attendance and corrections.

It was stated that the meeting had been authorized by X3T10 and would be
conducted under the X3 rules.  Working group meetings take no final actions,
but prepare recommendations for approval by the X3T10 task group.  The voting
rules for the meeting are those of the parent committee, X3T10.  These rules
are:  one vote per company; and any participating company member may vote.

The minutes of this meeting will be posted to the SCSI BBS and the SCSI
Reflector and will be included in the next committee mailing.

George stated that this is the second X3T10 SCC working group.  The purpose of
the group is to deal with interface issues related to using RAIDs.  The study
group will assess the issues and then formulate a strategy for dealing with

2.      Attendance and Membership

Attendance at working group meetings does not count toward minimum attendance
requirements for X3T10 membership.  Working group meetings are open to any
person or company to attend and to express their opinion on the subjects
being discussed.

RAID Study Group Meeting Attendees

Attendee          Company             Email Address
----------------  ------------------  -------------------------------
Vince Bastiani    Adaptec             bastiani at swss.adaptec.com
Randy Hall        Array Technology    hall at arraytech.com
Jerry Fredin      AT&T/GIS            jerry fredin at wichitaks.ncr.com
M. Jibbe          AT&T/GIS            mahmoud.jibbe at wichitaks.ncr.com
John McDaniel     Avid Technology     jmcdanie at avid.com
George Su         CMD                 gsu at cmd.com
Doug Hagerman     Digital             hagerman at starch.enet.dec.com
Paul Massiglia    Digital             massiglia at genral.enet.dec.com
Bill Dallas       Digital             dallas at wasteal.enet.dec.com
Ralph Weber       Digital             weber at star.enet.dec.com
Ruben Yomtobian   Hitachi             r_yomtob_hitachi.com
Bill Hutchinson   HP                  hutch at boi.hp.com
Giles Frazier     IBM                 gjrazier at ausvm6.vnet.ibm.com
George Penokie    IBM                 gop at rchvmp3.vnet.ibm.com
Dennis Ehrenbock  IBM                 dje at rchvmp3.vnet.ibm.com
Bruce McNutt      IBM                 b_mcnutt at vnet.ibm.com
Paul Hodges       IBM                 phodges at vnet.ibm.com
John Baudrexl     Intellistor/Fujitsu baudrexl at intellistor.com
David Fellinger   Mega Drived         fellinger at u1201.megadrive.com
Erich Oeffing     Storage Tek         erich_oeffing at stortek.com
Joe Molina        Technology Forums

3.      Approval of Agenda

The agenda developed at the meeting was approved.

4.      Report on last RAID Working Group

Last RAID Working Group was held in Minneapolis, MN.  Several members of the
RAID Advisory Board were present.  George stated that the minutes of the
Minneapolis, MN meeting have been published on the SCSI Reflector.

5. SCSI-3 Controller Commands  Working Draft (1047D Rev 0) Penokie

George Penokie presented Rev 0 of the SCSI-3 Controller Commands working draft.
SCC rev 0 has incorporated the following four documents:
   SDA Model  (94-040r5)
   SDA States and Types (94-041r6)
   SDA Commands and Mode Pages (94-042r6)
   SCSI-3 Logical Unit Addressing (94-031r2)

There was discussion and, as a result, changes will be made to the SCC.  The
major changes/additions agreed to were:

-Add in a Vendor Specific bit into the target base device states.
-Add a device type field into the format of logical unit states discriptor.
-Removed the DACL state from the component device states.
-Added a SCSI-3 disk array automatic LUN assignment bit to the following
 service actions:
  -Add peripheral device/component device service action
  -Create/modify redundancy group service action
  -Create/modify volume set service action
  -Create/modify p_extent spare service action
  -Create/modify peripheral device/component device spare service action
-Add a new service action named Break Peripheral Device Service Action

6.     Action Items

a)George Penokie to prepare a rev 1 draft of the SCC document.
b)George Penokie to prepare are educational presentation to be given during
the September X3T10 meeting week.

7.     Meeting Schedule

The next meeting of the X3T10 SCC working group is planned for Aug 16, 1994 at
the Keystone Resort in Keystone, CO.  The meeting is scheduled to run from
9:00am - 5:00pm.

8.      Adjournment

The meeting was adjourned at 5:00 pm. on Tuesday, July 19, 1994

John Lohmeyer                      E-Mail:  John.Lohmeyer at FtCollinsCO.NCR.COM
NCR Microelectronics                Voice:  719-573-3362
1635 Aeroplaza Dr.                    Fax:  719-597-8225
Colo Spgs, CO 80916              SCSI BBS:  719-574-0424 300--14400 baud

More information about the T10 mailing list