Accredited Standards Committee* InterNational Committee for Information Technology Standards (INCITS) Doc. No.: T10/05-162r0 Date: May 3, 2005 Reply to: John Lohmeyer To: T10 Membership From: Ralph Weber and John Lohmeyer Subject: SAS Protocol WG -- May 2-3, 2005 Oklahoma City, OK Agenda 1. Opening Remarks 2. Approval of Agenda 3. Attendance and Membership 4. Old Business 4.1 SAS-1.1, protocol for changing driver amplitude (03-285r2) [Evans] 4.2 SAS-2 More counters (04-172r0) [Elliott] 5. New Business 5.1 SAS-1.1 revision 9 letter ballot comment resolution as of SAS1R09b (05-169r1) [Elliott] 5.2 SAS-2 Zoning (05-144r0) [Liao, Gorshe and Grieff] 5.3 SAS-1.1: BreakWait issue resolution (05-145r0) [Hoglund] 5.4 SAS 1.1 - Transport layer retry and argument passing fixes (05-143r2) [Penokie] 5.5 SAS-2: New NOTIFY to indicate imminent power failure (05-167r0) [Penokie] 6. Review of Recommendations 7. Meeting Schedule 8. Adjournment Results of Meeting 1. Opening Remarks John Lohmeyer called the meeting to order at 9:05 a.m. Monday, May 2, 2005. He thanked Mike Fitzpatrick of Fujitsu for hosting the meeting. As usual, the people present introduced themselves. 2. Approval of Agenda The draft agenda was approved with the no additions and changes. 3. Attendance and Membership Attendance at working group meetings does not count toward minimum attendance requirements for T10 membership. Working group meetings are open to any person or organization directly and materially affected by T10's scope of work. The following people attended the meeting: Name S Organization ---------------------------------- -- ------------------------------------ Ms. Pat Thaler P Agilent Technologies Mr. Ron Roberts A Broadcom Corp.. Mr. Kevin Marks P Dell, Inc. Mr. Kenneth Hirata A Emulex Mr. Robert H. Nixon P Emulex Mr. Ralph O. Weber P ENDL Texas Mr. Mike Fitzpatrick P Fujitsu Mr. Tim Mackley A General Dynamics Mr. Rob Elliott P Hewlett Packard Co. Mr. Thomas Grieff V Hewlett Packard Co. Mr. Dan Colegrove P Hitachi Global Storage Tech. Mr. George O. Penokie P IBM / Tivoli Systems Mr. Schelto van Doorn V Intel Corp Mr. Robert Sheffield P Intel Corp. Mr. Dennis Moore AV KnowledgeTek, Inc. Mr. Brian Day V LSI Logic Corp. Mr. Tim Hoglund V LSI Logic Corp. Mr. Steve Johnson V LSI Logic Corp. Mr. John Lohmeyer P LSI Logic Corp. Mr. Martin Czekalski A Maxtor Corp. Mr. Mark Evans P Maxtor Corp. Mr. Robert Kembel V Northwest Learning Associates Mr. Mark Overby P Nvidia Corp. Ms. Rachelle Trent P PMC-Sierra Dr. Steve Gorshe V PMC-Sierra, Inc. Dr. Heng Liao V PMC-Sierra, Inc. Mr. Don Carothers V QLogic Corp. Mr. Greg Elkins V QLogic Corp. Mr. Gilbert Romo V QLogic Corp. Mr. Gerald Houlder P Seagate Technology Mr. William Martin P Sierra Logic, Inc. Mr. Vit Novak P Sun Microsystems, Inc. Mr. Ed D'Avignon V Vitesse Semiconductor Mr. Gregory Tabor P Vitesse Semiconductor Mr. Jeff Williams P Xiotech Corp. 35 People Present Status Key: P - Principal A,A# - Alternate AV - Advisory Member L - Liaison V - Visitor 4. Old Business 4.1 SAS-1.1, protocol for changing driver amplitude (03-285r2) [Evans] Mark Evans requested that discussion of this topic be deferred to the next meeting, and that the content be deferred to SAS-2. 4.2 SAS-2 More counters (04-172r0) [Elliott] Rob Elliott requested that discussion of this topic be deferred to the next meeting. 5. New Business 5.1 SAS-1.1 revision 9 letter ballot comment resolution as of SAS1R09b (05-169r1) [Elliott] Rob Elliott led the group in a review of numerous SAS-1.1 Letter Ballot comments (05-169r1). Rob recorded the resolutions agreed by the group for inclusion in 05-169r2. Ralph Weber moved that the two comments defining application client specific coded values in the SMP Discover response be rejected. Bill Martin seconded the motion. The motion passed 8:1:9. 5.2 SAS-2 Zoning (05-144r0) [Liao, Gorshe and Grieff] Heng Liao presented an overview of a proposed SAS-2 Zoning feature (detailed proposal 05-144r0). The group discussed the model and raised several issues. Heng agreed to prepare a new revision of the proposal for consideration at the next meeting and he agreed to post the overview that he presented. 5.3 SAS-1.1: BreakWait issue resolution (05-145r0) [Hoglund] Tim Hoglund reviewed newly surfaced problems in the 05-093r1 changes approved in March (minutes in 05-094r0) that are worse than the problems the proposal was trying to fix (05-145r0). Concerns were raised that some devices already shipping implement 05-093r1. Tim's presentation also proposed fixing the problem by adding a Break Wait Response to close a formal frame handshake as an airtight solution. The group agreed to defer the handshake solution to SAS-2, and Tim agreed to prepare a new revision of 05-145r0 containing the SAS-2 changes. The group agreed to address problems caused by incorporating 05-093r1 as responses to LSI SAS-1.1 Letter Ballot comments. 5.4 SAS 1.1 - Transport layer retry and argument passing fixes (05-143r2) [Penokie] George Penokie presented a proposal to correct numerous argument passing details in the SAS-1.1 state machines (05-143r2). The group reviewed the proposed changes page-by-page. The group requested changes and George agreed to prepare a new revision. 5.5 SAS-2: New NOTIFY to indicate imminent power failure (05-167r0) [Penokie] George Penokie presented a proposal to add a NOTIFY primitive to indicate imminent power failure (05-167r0). George noted that none of the NOTIFY primitives are considered in the SAS state machines. Concerns were raised about sending the proposed NOTIFY primitive just once. George agreed to revise the proposal for consideration at the next meeting. 6. Review of Recommendations No documents were recommended for inclusion in SAS-1.1 or SAS-2 during this meeting. 7. Meeting Schedule A SAS Protocol Working Group meeting is scheduled for: Monday, July 11, 2005 commencing at 9:00 a.m. in Colorado Springs, CO at the Antlers Hilton Hotel (719-955-5600), hosted by LSI Logic. Teleconference calls may be announced on the T10 reflector as needed. 8. Adjournment The meeting was adjourned at 4:25 p.m. on Tuesday May 3, 2005.