[T10] Question on wording of sanitize operation behiavior

Bill Martin bill.martin at samsung.com
Mon Sep 11 09:25:34 PDT 2017

Forwarding to reflector for John.

Bill Martin
Chair INCITS T10
Co-Chair SNIA Technical Council
SSD I/O Standards
Samsung Semiconductor, Inc.
Cell (408) 499-1839

-------- Original Message --------
From: John Geldman <John.Geldman at taec.toshiba.com<mailto:John.Geldman at taec.toshiba.com>>
Date: Sun, Sep 10, 2017, 11:05 PM
To: "Ballard, Curtis C (HPE Storage)" <curtis.ballard at hpe.com<mailto:curtis.ballard at hpe.com>>,Gerry Houlder <gerry.houlder at seagate.com<mailto:gerry.houlder at seagate.com>>
CC: T10 Reflector <t10 at t10.org<mailto:t10 at t10.org>>,Bill Martin <bill.martin at samsung.com<mailto:bill.martin at samsung.com>>,Curtis Stevens <curtis.stevens at wdc.com<mailto:curtis.stevens at wdc.com>>
Subject: RE: [T10] Question on wording of sanitize operation behiavior
I can’t post yet (just remembered about rejoining the reflector). Please repost this as I’ll get another ‘blocked’ from the reflector software until Curtis/Bill gets to it. Sorry for the multiple repost request which will confuse this thread for a while.

As one of the guilty party authors of this text, I’ll note that the term “a power loss expected” in 4.11.2 c D was quite intentional.

SCSI devices are not prescient. They cannot process an unexpected power loss. They can only find out about it after the return of power. So, it is only possible to process “a power loss expected”, which is a SCSI event we can know about.

The terms in 4.11.2 e A&B were also carefully chosen. In what case of an actual power loss is there not a logical unit reset? Only if the power loss expected never comes.

In hindsight, I’d expect such much of our word play to have come from George, spurred on by a bunch of us. While we are often too clever with our words, they still seem right to me. At this point, I’d understand adding clarity via notes (good luck), but not changing the existing terms.

What am I missing?

John

John Geldman

Director, SSD Industry Standards
Toshiba America Electronic Components, Inc.
SSD Business Unit
2610 Orchard Parkway, San Jose, CA 95134