[T10] Question on wording of sanitize operation behiavior

Ballard, Curtis C (HPE Storage) curtis.ballard at hpe.com
Fri Sep 8 12:30:02 PDT 2017

Gerry,

There was some discussion along these lines during the development of that text.

“power on” versus “unexpected power loss”:  A “power on” is a condition defined in SAM but there is no definition in SAM, SPC, or SBC for “unexpected power loss”.  Every SCSI device that is power cycled ends up in the “power on” condition.  For many SCSI devices the power on condition is the first time the SCSI device is able to detect that a power cycle occurred.  The sanitize operation doesn’t make much progress while the power is off but sometimes the SCSI device doesn’t get to actually suspend the sanitize operation until the power on condition occurs.

Regarding resuming the sanitize, it does seem like there is a possibility that could be more clear but the “power on” condition is clearly defined in SAM as a condition which “shall” cause a hard reset and the hard reset is defined as “shall” cause a logical unit reset so the rules documented in SAM take you to a condition that causes the sanitize to resume processing.  That is the sequence that is expected and documented in both text and diagrams in SAM.  At power on:

1)      The power on condition occurs which causes;

2)      The hard reset condition which causes;

3)      The logical unit reset condition which is specified as a condition after which the sanitize operation is resumed

Curtis