[T10] Need assignments for several depopulation related sense codes

Joe Breher Joe.Breher at wdc.com
Mon May 1 16:18:49 PDT 2017

Hi Gerry -

Thanks for your suggestions. I’ll have a final proposal for ratification in Co Springs.

Joe Breher
Storage Architecture Technologist
Standards Setting Organization
San Jose Research Center
Western Digital
+1 (478) 2-Breher
+1 (478) 227-3437

[cid:3888D38D-876F-48C4-94D6-BF5B836DAD27 at gateway.innflux.com]

On May 1, 2017, at 12:37 PM, Gerry Houlder <gerry.houlder at seagate.com<mailto:gerry.houlder at seagate.com>> wrote:

There are several new sense codes defined for the repurposing depopualtion stuff that was recently approved. These are my preferences for the sense code assignments:
0Bh 14h  WARNING - PHYSICAL ELEMENT STATUS CHANGE
04h 24h  DEPOPULATION IN PROGRESS
31h 04h  DEPOPULATION FAILED

For consistency with past naming coventions for 04h xxh sense codes, we coule consider changing the 04h/24h to LOGICAL UNIT NOT READY, DEPOPULATION IN PROGRESS. I don't think it is needed because it (as well as all the rest of the 04h/xx codes) is accompanied with a NOT READY sense key but some other folks might have stronger feelings about it.