[T10] When is the SAS 4 Spec estimated to be released

Ralph Weber roweber at ieee.org
Thu May 26 17:55:16 PDT 2016

Dear Dr. Keskinen,

First, a message on behalf of the folks who do a great deal of work to
keep T10 properly connected to the ANSI processes that will, when the
time is right "officially release" SAS-4. ... The best (most total
immersion) way to follow progress on SAS-4 is to become an Advisory
member of T10 using the INCITS Apply for Membership
<http://incits.org/participation/apply-for-membership> link.

Now, to the matter of SAS-4 balloting ...

As documented in the minutes of the May T10 Plenary
<http://www.t10.org/cgi-bin/ac.pl?t=d&f=16-128r0.htm#pgfId-1520864>, the
current expectation is that SAS-4 will become the subject of a
forwarding letter ballot subsequent to the September T10 Plenary
scheduled for 15 September 2016 in Milford, MA.

The newer sections of the T10 Minutes History
<http://www.t10.org/t10_mins.htm> webpage may prove to be a helpful
source for tracking future discussions of this schedule. After training
my eyes not to glaze over, the T10 Project Status Summary
<http://www.t10.org/ftp/t10/proj132.txt> webpage has become a handy,
50,000' view for this kind of information. Lastly, a specific focus on
forwarding letter ballots is available from the T10 Letter Ballots
<http://www.t10.org/members/t10-lb.htm> webpage.

If the past can be used as a predictor of the future, the SAS-4
forwarding letter ballot will be open for votes and comments for 30 to
45 days. The SAS-3 forwarding letter ballot was open for 32 days. As has
been the practice for 18 months, the forwarding letter ballot will be
managed by INCITS-provided software. When the open ballot interval ends,
an announcement of the results will be made on this reflector. Expect
that announcement to indicate that between several hundred and a few
thousand comments were received during the ballot.

The SAS Phy working group will have primary responsibility for
developing resolutions for all comments received. This is the same group
for which the May T10 Plenary
<http://www.t10.org/cgi-bin/ac.pl?t=d&f=16-128r0.htm#pgfId-1520864>
minutes (mentioned above) document six unique minutes documents.
Depending upon how closely one wishes to monitor the comment resolution
activities, finding and tracking future editions of these minutes might
be a must.

When the SAS Phy group judges the balloting, commenting, and resolving
to be fully completed, they will request the next available T10 Plenary
to ratify the process thus far and forward SAS-4 for processing towards
public review (and publication). Naturally, this activity will be fully
documented in the updated T10 Minutes History
<http://www.t10.org/t10_mins.htm>. As of this writing, the scuttlebutt
most frequently heard mentions May 2017 as the Plenary where the
forwarding action will be processed, but an serious guessing needs to
know the number of forwarding letter ballot comments received, which is
still TBD.

The T10 requested public review is conducted by INCITS and closely
monitored by ANSI <https://ansi.org/>. Except for a handful of
"interesting" cases, no comments are received during a T10 public review.

Please note well: Nowhere in the above description can anyone find the
words "pretty much defined". The degree to which that criteria has been
met is forever a matter of personal judgment (and doubtless this message
will be supplemented with numerous opinions on the subject). Personally,
I cannot fathom how anyone can have more than an approximate
understanding of "pretty much defined" without joining T10 and attending
the applicable working group meetings.

All the best,

.Ralph