[T10] Uploaded comment resolution doc + SAT4r05e

Wanamaker, Neil (Consultant - Insight Global) neil.wanamaker at hpe.com
Thu Jun 9 16:47:48 PDT 2016

All,

In preparation for the next conference call (6/15 at 12:00 Pacific), I have posted a comment resolution document resolving virtually all comments, and an updated draft incorporating those resolutions.

2016/06/09 16:40:24

Your request to upload a file or files to the T10 site has been accepted.

Your PDF file will be posted at:

2016/06/09 16:46:36

Your request to upload a file or files to the T10 site has been accepted.

Your file will be posted at:

   http://www.t10.org/cgi-bin/ac.pl?t=f&f=sat4r05e.pdf

I have made substantial changes (hopefully for the better) to:

PATA control page
Splitting R/W/V/W&V and WRITE BUFFER commands (and added an informative annex with suggested algorithms)
'Remembering' pending activation & associated changes to FORMAT/START STOP/SANITIZE
Passthrough results log page
There were a set of prior changes to the two security clauses (SECURITY PROTOCOL IN/OUT, and the stuff in Clause 12) that have not yet been discussed.

Careful review of these areas seems indicated. There is lots of red & blue text.

There remain 3 comments on the not-yet-approved T13 change to add a fieldname for queue depth, and some related to the as-yet-unresolved question about "if we are not to return ATA SECURITY CONFLICT (or SECURITY CONFLICT IN TRANSLATED DEVICE (and why are these different for SPC vs SBC???)) then what should we return?".

And one niggling issue of my own...

In 12.3.3 we have:

If the ATA SET FEATURES command completes with an error, then the SATL shall terminate the MODE
SELECT command with CHECK CONDITION status with the sense key set to ILLEGAL REQUEST and the
additional sense code set to INVALID FIELD IN PARAMETER LIST.

It seems disturbing to me that we are saying ILLEGAL REQUEST after sending a command to the device  - ABORTED COMMAND with some ASC/ASCQ seems more honest to me...

Neil Wanamaker
Insight Global @ HPE
[cid:A328D13D-D7EA-44D6-ADCA-9ECA85955961]
neil.wanamaker at hpe.com<mailto:nathan.seiler at insightglobal.net>