[T10] Operation of TAS bit related to Unit Attention

Bill Martin-SSI bill.martin at ssi.samsung.com
Tue Jan 26 08:10:56 PST 2016

Ralph & George:

There is a conflict between SAM-5 and SPC-4 on the meaning of the TAS bit.

SAM-5r21 states:
If the TAS bit is set to zero in the Control mode page (see SPC-4), then the device server creates this unit attention condition for each I_T nexus that had command(s) aborted other than the I_T nexus that delivered the command. If the TAS bit is set to one in the Control mode page (see SPC-4), then the device server does not create this unit attention condition.

SPC-4r08 states:
A task aborted status (TAS) bit set to zero specifies that aborted commands shall be terminated by the device server without any response to the application client. A TAS bit set to one specifies that commands aborted by the actions of an I_T nexus other than the I_T nexus on which the command was received shall be completed with TASK ABORTED status (see SAM-5).

Which was the intended meaning of this bit?

Thanks,

Bill Martin
Vice Chair SNIA Technical Council
Vice Chair INCITS T10