[T10] Question: when to close an STP connection for a STP target?

Gerry Houlder gerry.houlder at seagate.com
Wed Jan 20 12:29:31 PST 2016

The behavior you describe makes sense to me.

Remember that the expander device probably has a small number of connection
to an initiator and a larger number of connections to devices. Further, the
devices could be a mix of SATA devices and SAS devices. When a SATA device
isn't actively accepting or sending commands or data then it sends
SATA_SYNC. This is like being idle on the bus. At this point, the expander
can disconnect from the initiator as well and prepare to service a new
connection between that same initiator and a different device (maybe a SAS
device that will use SSP protocol rather than STP protocol).