[T10] Tape Stream Miroring incorporation into SPC-5 r11 feedback

Dennis Appleyard dennis.appleyard at oracle.com
Wed Aug 3 19:32:40 PDT 2016

Kevin,

Thanks for the review.
My comments are inline below.

Dennis

On 8/1/2016 1:09 PM, Kevin D Butt wrote:
> Ralph, Dennis, and all,
>
> I have 10 comments related to the incorporation of Tape Stream
> Mirroring into SPC-5r11. I included an fdf, but also wrote it out in
> text since I think Dennis can't do fdf's and I am not sure how an
> attached fdf will get processed by the reflector.
>
> I admit, some of the comments are not strictly incorporation issues,
> so I have split them into one list of strictly incorporation issues,
> and one list that is more (and may need a proposal written if there is
> consensus that they should be changed)
>
> *Strictly incorporation issues:*
> On page 280, table 142, byte 8, there are missing vertical lines in
> the table.
Agree

> On page 281, fourth paragraph, "then the <<copy manager shall and
> device server shall>>establish a
> deferred error condition with CHECK CONDITION status" I think there is
> something wrong with "copy manager shall and device server shall" The
> device server is the one to establish a deferred error. The copy
> manager has a requirement to terminate the copy operation which was
> just stated prior to the then, so what does the copy manager need to
> do here? I think, perhaps, the "copy manager shall and" should be
> deleted, but perhaps there was intent to have something here.
I suggest changing to "then the copy  manager shall direct the device
server to establish a deferred error condition" This was the wording in
the proposal.

> *Other issues:*
> On page 200, third paragraph, I think the "e.g." should be an "i.e."
Agree

> On page 201, first paragraph, "SSC-5 or ADC-4" should be "SSC-5 and
> ADC-4".
Agree

> On page 201, first paragraph, "A sequential-access device that
> supports the tape stream mirroring copy
> operation shall support the TSMC bit in the Sequential-access Device
> Capabilities VPD page (see SSC-5)being set to one." This is a VPD
> page. I think it should say "shall set ... to one" instead of "shall
> support ... being set to one"
I think text should not be changed or should have "being set to one."
removed.
The TSMC bit set to one indicates that the device is capable of tape
stream mirroring as set by a method outside the scope of the standard
(operator
panel) or set by a Set Tape Stream Mirroring command from the ADC
interface when a library configures its drives. The TSMC bit set to zero
indicates that
the device is not capable of tape stream mirroring because it knows
nothing about tape stream mirroring or that tape stream mirroring has
been made not available by a operator panel or the Set Tape Stream
Mirroring command from the ADC interface.

> On page 204, row for 19h, "The equivalent affects of data transfer and
> positioning requested for the copy source shall be mirrored to the
> specified CSCD as equivalent data transfers and positioning requests
> to those processed for the copy source. Mirroring shall continue until
> stopped by the copy manager."
>     1) The word "affects" should be "effects" and
Agree
>     2) "as equivalent data transfers and positioning requests to those
> processed for the copy source" actually detracts from the intent. I
> think the entire quoted text from "as" to the end of the sentence
> should be deleted.
Agree

> On page 280, first paragraph, "tape copy source" and "tape copy
> destination" should have the word "tape" deleted. There is already a
> requirement in third paragraph below the table to enforce the
> peripheral device type to be 01h.
Agree