[T10] Tape Stream Miroring incorporation into SPC-5 r11 feedback

Kevin D Butt kdbutt at us.ibm.com
Mon Aug 1 12:09:26 PDT 2016

Ralph, Dennis, and all,

I have 10 comments related to the incorporation of Tape Stream Mirroring
into SPC-5r11. I included an fdf, but also wrote it out in text since I
think Dennis can't do fdf's and I am not sure how an attached fdf will get
processed by the reflector.

I admit, some of the comments are not strictly incorporation issues, so I
have split them into one list of strictly incorporation issues, and one
list that is more (and may need a proposal written if there is consensus
that they should be changed)

Strictly incorporation issues:
On page 280, table 142, byte 8, there are missing vertical lines in the
table.

On page 281, fourth paragraph, "then the <<copy manager shall and device
server shall>> establish a
deferred error condition with CHECK CONDITION status" I think there is
something wrong with "copy manager shall and device server shall" The
device server is the one to establish a deferred error. The copy manager
has a requirement to terminate the copy operation which was just stated
prior to the then, so what does the copy manager need to do here? I think,
perhaps, the "copy manager shall and" should be deleted, but perhaps there
was intent to have something here.

Other issues:
On page 200, third paragraph, I think the "e.g." should be an "i.e."

On page 201, first paragraph, "SSC-5 or ADC-4" should be "SSC-5 and
ADC-4".

On page 201, first paragraph, "A sequential-access device that supports
the tape stream mirroring copy
operation shall support the TSMC bit in the Sequential-access Device
Capabilities VPD page (see SSC-5)being set to one." This is a VPD page. I
think it should say "shall set ... to one" instead of "shall support ...
being set to one"

On page 204, row for 19h, "The equivalent affects of data transfer and
positioning requested for the copy source shall be mirrored to the
specified CSCD as equivalent data transfers and positioning requests to
those processed for the copy source. Mirroring shall continue until
stopped by the copy manager."
    1) The word "affects" should be "effects" and
    2) "as equivalent data transfers and positioning requests to those
processed for the copy source" actually detracts from the intent. I think
the entire quoted text from "as" to the end of the sentence should be
deleted.

On page 280, first paragraph, "tape copy source" and "tape copy
destination" should have the word "tape" deleted. There is already a
requirement in third paragraph below the table to enforce the peripheral
device type to be 01h.

Kevin D. Butt
SCSI Architect, Tape Firmware, CAMSS
T10 Standards
MS 6TYA, 9000 S. Rita Rd., Tucson, AZ 85744
Tel: 520-799-5280
Fax: 520-799-2723 (T/L:321)
Email address: kdbutt at us.ibm.com
http://www-03.ibm.com/servers/storage/