Multi-command Download proposals

Gerry Houlder Gerry_Houlder at notes.seagate.com
Sun Sep 6 23:24:59 PDT 2015

_Date: 03-28-94 08:08:45 AM
_To: scsireflector
_Recipient: scsi at WichitaKS.NCR.COM@internet
_From: Gerry Houlder at SEAGATE
_Subject: Multi-command Download proposals

I have noted that the recently published SCSI Encyclopedia, Volume II
(published by ENDL associates) has a multi-command download example in it that
is different than the Quantum proposal. I don't know how it relates the the DEC
and IBM methods, but I expect that it is different from theirs also.

I hope we don't have to go as far as defining a new download command (as George
suggested in his message). Everyone's existing method is SCSI-2 compatible
(which basically is vendor specific in details). We are talking about
additional definition for SCSI-3. Everyone will probably have to change their
SCSI-2 method a little bit to match the now-being-defined SCSI-3 method. Maybe
a new Mode field definition that ties down the details for doing 1 command and
multi-command downloading is needed, but a new command seems a bit too drastic.
Perhaps the next meeting should include discussion of existing methods from
IBM, DEC, and others so the group can get a feel for how different (or
similar?) the methods really are.

I am sympathetic to the goal of allowing an initiator to use the same download
utility with multiple vendor's drives. Perhaps we should look at things from
the standpoint of defining a procedure for the host's download utility to
follow. The insights gained here would tell us which differences in the
existing methods are significant and which aren't.

--
Gerry Houlder (Gerry_Houlder at notes.seagate.com)
Seagate Technology   -   920 Disc Drive   -   Scotts Valley, CA 95066 USA
Main Phone 408-438-6550   -   Email Problems postmaster at notes.seagate.com
Technical Support: BBS 408-438-8771  Fax 408-438-8137  Voice 408-438-8222