[T10] SAS 12 Spec question related to HSS and connectors

Kevin D Butt kdbutt at us.ibm.com
Mon Oct 19 10:04:59 PDT 2015

Thanks Harvey. This is much appreciated.

Kevin D. Butt
SCSI Architect, Tape Firmware, CAMSS
T10 Standards
MS 6TYA, 9000 S. Rita Rd., Tucson, AZ 85744
Tel: 520-799-5280
Fax: 520-799-2723 (T/L:321)
Email address: kdbutt at us.ibm.com
http://www-03.ibm.com/servers/storage/

From:   Harvey Newman <harvey.newman at avagotech.com>
To:     Kevin D Butt/Tucson/IBM at IBMUS
Cc:     "T10 Reflector (t10 at t10.org)" <t10 at t10.org>
Date:   10/19/2015 09:45 AM
Subject:        Re: [T10] SAS 12 Spec question related to HSS and
connectors

Hi Kevin,

In SAS-3 we have specified the compliance points at the die pads.  Since
this compliance point is not typically able to be probed directly the
specification SAS3r06 provides tools and limits based on measurements
taken at the connector.  Please review Annex D starting with Figure D.1.
We do not directly state the trace length between the connector and the
compliance point.  We allow implementations to balance the loss of the
traces and the capabilities of the SerDes.

We do provide for purpose of testing a model of the loss between the
connector and the compliance point.  For Tx the separable usage model use
Table D.2. For Tx the non-separable usage model use Table D.3. For Rx use
Table D.5.

These models are used to set up the test conditions. As long as the
combined SerDes and interconnect up to the measurement point combined meet
the spec the actual electrical performance of the traces is not
specified.

Hope this is helpful.

Regards,
Harvey Newman