[T10] Questions about SAS coefficients' configuration

Jiagongxian jiagongxian at huawei.com
Fri Nov 20 02:06:06 PST 2015

HI All,  I have a question related  to  SAS TX  RX  common mode return loss, according to the SAS 3r06,     for 12Gbps TX, the common mode loss requirement is as the following,

[cid:image005.jpg at 01D123BE.1F956D60]

Which is measured as the following method,

[cid:image006.png at 01D123BC.F8F2A390]
The  return loss of  device is defined at the connector pin according the document.

[cid:image007.png at 01D123BE.1F956D60]

Which means,  after de-embeddng,  TX or RX return loss is mainly influenced by the connector, if the return loss of  SAS  connector is high,  it will make the return loss of the device can not meet the spec. of TX or RX side of SAS device.

Unfortunely, the  SAS connector requirement is as the following,

[cid:image004.png at 01D123BC.15C74620]

Compare Table 47 (return loss requirement of  SAS device) and Table 7 (return loss of  SAS connector ) ,  the common mode return loss of connector is about -3 dB, while that of  device is beginning with -6 dB, which make it is very hard for  the  device’s common mode return loss  to pass -6 dB spec.  at lower frequency band.

Is there anything wrong  with my analysis ?

Best regards

Jia Gongxian/贾功贤
Phone: 0755-89651131
Email: jgxian at huawei.com<mailto:jgxian at huawei.com>
Huawei Technologies Co., Ltd./华为技术有限公司
Bantian, Longgang District,Shenzhen 518129, P.R.China/深圳市龙岗区坂田华为基地,518129
http://www.huawei.com
本邮件及其附件含有华为公司的保密信息,仅限于发送给上面地址中列出的个人或群组。禁
止任何其他人以任何形式使用(包括但不限于全部或部分地泄露、复制、或散发)本邮件中
的信息。如果您错收了本邮件,请您立即电话或邮件通知发件人并删除本邮件!
recipient(s) is prohibited. If you receive this e-mail in error, please notify the sender by