[T10] ATA PASS-THROUGH(32) straw poll

Neil Wanamaker ntw20 at earthlink.net
Mon Nov 16 18:56:33 PST 2015

All:

At the recent T10 CAP meeting, Gerry Houlder presented 15-269r0, which included a new ATA PASS-THROUGH(32) command. In his proposal, he made the CDB structure consistent with the form of the ATA PASS-THROUGH(16), adding AUX and ICC at the end.

In general, I applaud consistency, but... the ATA PASS-THROUGH(16) command seems to have few redeeming features - it is neither convenient for the SCSI initiator or for the SATL, what with the LBAs being scrambled, etc.

To make the new command convenient for either the initiator or the SATL, I would like feedback on which of the three formats in the attachment would be preferable.

The first is Gerry's proposal unchanged apart from using a service action of the form xx00, as the SPC editor suggests reserving a block of service actions (such as 3000h-37ffh)for SAT, as shown in Table E.8 of SPC-5.

The second is a SCSI-friendly structure, putting LBA and AUX in big-endian form aligned to appropriate boundaries. I have added the CONTROL(7:0) field (which could be added to the first proposal, if people wanted to go that route.

The third is a SAT (or ATA if you prefer) - friendly structure, which may be familiar to some of you.

I would appreciate feedback from the audience as to which of these best meets your needs.

Best regards,
Neil Wanamaker