Discussion of 14-275r7

John Geldman (jgeldman) jgeldman at micron.com
Tue Mar 31 19:26:27 PDT 2015

Formatted message: <a href="http://www.t10.org/cgi-bin/ac.pl?t=r&f=r1503311_f.htm">HTML-formatted message</a>

I will add a completely unrelated comment on this thread. Just above 5.97 on
pdf page 27 is the paragraph:
Physical blocks that are part of the stream granularity size block that do
not contain data when a stream is closed should not be allocated to other
logical block data until the entire block is unmapped.
There are several issues packed into this short paragraph to:
(1) LBA's that may have been allocated to a physical block are unmapped not
physical blocks.
(2) I am confused by the unmap language in this paragraph. We have an
unmapped state for each LBA that may occur after the host tells the device
that the data in specified LBA's has been released by the host. I think a
more general usage was intended.
(3) It is out-of-scope to completely prohibit new allocations to the physical
block. Consider the case where four physical resources are allocated to a
stream, but there is only scare valid data remaining when the stream is
closed. The device should not be prohibited from garbage collecting (merging)
the sparse contents of the four allocated physical resources reserved for
that stream into possibly one packed physical resource that is still reserved
for that stream.
Regards,
John
John Geldman