ZBC - possible late letter ballot comment

Joe Breher Joe.Breher at hgst.com
Tue Mar 3 09:42:43 PST 2015

Formatted message: <a href="http://www.t10.org/cgi-bin/ac.pl?t=r&f=r1503030_f.htm">HTML-formatted message</a>

We seem to have some duplicated material in zbc-r02, which has escaped all of
our otherwise vigilant eyes.
Within 4.3.3.4.1, we have both of the following paragraphs:
If the device server processes a write command with an ending LBA that is not
in the same sequential write
required zone as the starting LBA, then the device server shall terminate the
command with CHECK
CONDITION status, with the sense key set to ILLEGAL REQUEST, and the
additional sense code set to WRITE
BOUNDARY VIOLATION.
and
If the device server processes a write command with the starting LBA that is
not in a sequential write required
zone and specifies an LBA that is in a sequential write required zone, then
the device server shall terminate the
command with CHECK CONDITION status, with the sense key set to ILLEGAL
REQUEST, and the additional
sense code set to WRITE BOUNDARY VIOLATION.
The criteria in the latter paragraph is a proper subset of the criteria in
the first paragraph. Accordingly, the latter paragraph is redundant, and
should be stricken in entirety.
If the editor is amenable, I would like to enter this as a late letter ballot
comment.
Upon internal discussion, our esteemed Dr. Suhler points out that ZACr01 has
a similar issue. Expect a corresponding T13 discussion.
Joe Breher
Storage Architecture Technologist
Standards Setting Organization
San Jose Research Center
HGST, a Western Digital company
(478) 2-Breher
(478) 227-3437
This e-mail may contain confidential or legally privileged information of
HGST. If you are not the intended recipient, please notify us immediately by
responding to this e-mail and then deleting it from your system.