What is the correct response to an INQUIRY with EVPD sent to an invalid LUN?

Gerry Houlder gerry.houlder at seagate.com
Wed Jan 7 13:39:46 PST 2015

Formatted message: <a href="http://www.t10.org/cgi-bin/ac.pl?t=r&f=r1501077_f.htm">HTML-formatted message</a>

Referring to SAM-5, clause 5.11 (incorrect logical unit for commands), the
response for INQUIRY command is defined in SPC-4. The SAM-5 response
"Illegal Request, Logical Unit Not Supported" doesn't necessarily apply.
Paul's response for EVPD=0 is the correct response defined in SPC-4 inquiry
command description. Since the command with EVPD=1 is being sent to an
unsupported logical unit, i would expect the command to be terminated with
"Illegal Request, Invalid field in CDB", with the invalid field being the
EVPD bit. Unsupported logical units do not have VPD pages.
It's not clear that either my suggestion or Paul's would make sg_inq happy,
but at least you would be responding according to the SPC-4 standard.