SAM-5 definition of physical reconfiguration

Gerry Houlder gerry.houlder at seagate.com
Tue Jan 6 13:52:01 PST 2015

Formatted message: <a href="http://www.t10.org/cgi-bin/ac.pl?t=r&f=r1501064_f.htm">HTML-formatted message</a>

i tend to think of physical reconfiguration as a hardware change thing.
Changing cables around, moving a card from one slot to another, flicking a
switch. Things that are outside the scope of SCSI standards. i would
consider things that can be done with SCSI commands (e.g., MODE SELECT) to
be more of a logical reconfiguration that should't change a port identifier.
I will concede that we are now defining SCSI commands that can create or
remove logical units. This allows commands to create a virtual logical unit
in one location, tear it down, and recreate the same numbered logical unit
in another location within the same domain and have the same result as
swapping some cables or moving a PC card from one backpanel slot to
another. This muddies things a bit.