SAM-5 definition of physical reconfiguration

Kevin D Butt kdbutt at us.ibm.com
Tue Jan 6 13:10:19 PST 2015

Formatted message: <a href="http://www.t10.org/cgi-bin/ac.pl?t=r&f=r1501063_f.htm">HTML-formatted message</a>

In 4.6.5.2 of SAM-5r18 there is the following sentence.
The relative port identifier for a SCSI port shall not change once
assigned unless physical reconfiguration of the SCSI target device occurs.
What is the definition of "physical reconfiguration"?
Within my company I have opinions that oppose each other.
 1) physically change cables that are connected
 2) change the configuration settings (e.g., mode select)
Thanks,
Kevin D. Butt
SCSI Architect, Tape Firmware, T10 Standards
Data Protection & Retention
MS 6TYA, 9000 S. Rita Rd., Tucson, AZ 85744
Tel: 520-799-5280
Fax: 520-799-2723 (T/L:321)
Email address: kdbutt at us.ibm.com