SBC-4 wording on SANITIZE command behavior

John Geldman (jgeldman) jgeldman at micron.com
Tue Jan 6 11:32:13 PST 2015

Formatted message: <a href="http://www.t10.org/cgi-bin/ac.pl?t=r&f=r1501061_f.htm">HTML-formatted message</a>

Does the restriction description in the model clause (pdf page 64 in sbc4r04)
cover this? (see 4.11.1)

Note the last sentence in the third paragraph (more included for background)

An application client may request that a sanitize operation be performed in
the restricted completion mode or the unrestricted completion mode (see
4.11.3) using the AUSE bit in the SANITIZE command (see 5.24).

In the unrestricted completion mode, a SANITIZE command with the EXIT FAILURE
MODE service action exits a failed sanitize operation.

In the restricted completion mode, the only method to exit a failed sanitize
operation is for a SANITIZE command to request another sanitize operation and
for that operation to complete without error. If a sanitize operation in the
restricted completion mode completes with an error, and a subsequent SANITIZE
command requests the unrestricted completion mode (i.e., the AUSE bit set to
one), then the device server shall terminate that SANITIZE command as
described in 5.24.1.

Happy New Year,

John

John Geldman