What to do with ModePageCode.CONTROL_MODE_PAGE of SCSI ModeSenseStage?

Patrick Dirks pdirks at vmware.com
Fri Apr 10 11:12:09 PDT 2015

Formatted message: <a href="http://www.t10.org/cgi-bin/ac.pl?t=r&f=r1504104_f.htm">HTML-formatted message</a>

... and when you say "connect from vmware" do you mean from inside a VM
running on ESX?  With an RDM, or pass-through RDM?  Or in some other way?
My reason for asking is that a VM sees a virtualized SCSI target that has no
direct connection to the underlying device, although RDMs (Raw Device
Mappings, for those not familiar with vSphere) have varying degrees of
pass-through abilities.
Thanks,
-Patrick Dirks.
On Apr 10, 2015, at 10:34 AM, Felipe Gutierrez <felipe at usto.re> wrote:
> hello Paul, thanks for the answer.
>
> I am starting to develop this feature. Do you mind if I ask you the point
at the drafts I can see the parameters to execute at the iSCSI interface? I
can see the "7.5.8 Control mode page" chapter, but I don't know how to put it
in the code.....

> On Fri, Apr 10, 2015 at 12:54 PM, Paul Suhler <Paul.Suhler at hgst.com> wrote:
> I would like to add that Wikipedia may not have the current definition of
the page.  I would suggest using a draft from the T10 web site, either:

http://www.t10.org/cgi-bin/ac.pl?t=f&f=spc4r37.pdf), or

http://www.t10.org/cgi-bin/ac.pl?t=f&f=spc5r03.pdf)

> Good luck,
>

> Paul

Frederick
> Sent: Friday, April 10, 2015 6:24 AM
> To: Felipe Gutierrez; t10 at t10.org
> Subject: RE: What to do with ModePageCode.CONTROL_MODE_PAGE of SCSI
ModeSenseStage?

> MODE PAGEs are optional.  So this could be viewed as a host bug (they do
not support compliant products), or as an additional requirement that VMware
places on a SCSI device above and beyond what the standard requires (several
hosts have those kinds of requirements).

> You could always try implementing the CONTROL MODE PAGE with all zeros (in
bytes 2-11).  As for specifically which fields VMware cares about, and what
values they expect/require in those fields – you’ll have to have VMware
answer that part.

>		  Fred Knight

Gutierrez
> Sent: Thursday, April 09, 2015 1:59 PM
> To: t10 at t10.org; Felipe Gutierrez
> Subject: What to do with ModePageCode.CONTROL_MODE_PAGE of SCSI
ModeSenseStage?

> Hi,
>

> I am using a iSCSI target write in Java (jscsi.org). I can connect from
microsoft windows initiator and linux open-iscsi initiator. My problem is
when I try to connect from vmware. I can discovery my iqn, but when I try to
format the disk the target doesn't recognize the message
CONTROL_MODE_PAGE(0x0a, 0x00) http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/SCSI_mode_page
(0Ah/00h).

> The target iscsi code is here
http://grepcode.com/file/repo1.maven.org/maven2/org.jscsi/target/2.5.2/org/js
csi/target/connection/stage/fullfeature/ModeSenseStage.java?av=f#143