RFID (request for implementation description): SBC-4 Remove Unused MMC Restrictions (T10/14-238r0)

Knight, Frederick Frederick.Knight at netapp.com
Mon Sep 15 17:57:33 PDT 2014

* "Knight, Frederick" <Frederick.Knight at netapp.com>
*
Devices don't set bits in CDBs (application clients do).  So I assume you're
asking if anyone knows:
a) of an application that sets the bit; or
b) of a device that checks that bit?
I assume the answer is - only MMC applications and MMC devices.
And, besides, that bit is used in device types that report 05h in the
peripheral device type field of the returned INQUIRY parameter data.  For
those devices (MMC devices, it is NOT a restricted bit - it is the STREAMING
bit).  It is only restricted for DISK devices.	Tapes don't restrict that
bit, nor do other devices with READ/WRITE commands (e.g., RBC devices).
Is it possible that some type 04h or 07h (Optical disks - that use the SBC
commands) could have used that bit?  That would be the only thing I can think
of that may require that bit to be restricted in the SBC command set.  But,
both of those just reference the old SBC (not SBC-3), and there is no
restricted bit there in SBC.
So out of my MMC ignorance, I can't find any reason to keep that bit
restricted in SBC-4.  Anyone else?
	Fred Knight