MMC-4/6 Reference in SBC-2/3/4

Paul Suhler Paul.Suhler at hgst.com
Wed Sep 10 13:07:16 PDT 2014

Formatted message: <a href="http://www.t10.org/cgi-bin/ac.pl?t=r&f=r1409101_f.htm">HTML-formatted message</a>

At this week's CAP meeting, we realized that the following command CDBs each
have a bit marked as "Restricted for MMC-6."  However, *none* of these
commands appear in MMC-6.  These bits are restricted as far back as SBC-2,
where they are restricted for MMC-4:
READ(16) byte 14 bit 7
VERIFY(12) byte 10 bit 7
VERIFY(16) byte 14 bit 7
WRITE(16) byte 14 bit 7
WRITE AND VERIFY(12) byte 10 bit 7
WRITE AND VERIFY(16) byte 14 bit 7
There are three SBC commands with a bit restricted for MMC-4/6 that *do*
appear in MMC-4/6:  READ(12), VERIFY(10), and WRITE(12).
I am working on a proposal for which I would like to use that bit in the
READ(16) and WRITE(16) commands.  I suspect that in SBC-2 the bit was moved
into the six commands under the incorrect assumption that they would be used
in MMC-4, and they were simply carried forward in SBC-3 and -4 without being
checked.
If anyone knows why this bit was marked restricted a decade ago, then please
let me know.
Thanks,
Paul
Paul A. Suhler, PhD