Behavior of SCSI device for START STOP UNIT command

Munjal Mistry munjal_mistry at mentor.com
Thu Nov 20 21:41:37 PST 2014

Formatted message: <a href="http://www.t10.org/cgi-bin/ac.pl?t=r&f=r1411202_f.htm">HTML-formatted message</a>

Hi Gerry,
Thank you for your reply. We are referring JEDEC UFS 2.0 specification
which supports SAM-5, SBC-3 and SPC-4 specification. UFS stands for
"Universal Flash Storage" device which can be embedded into the device
or removable device.
Please find my reply embedded with your queries.
--
Warm Regards,
Munjal Mistry
On 11/20/2014 08:41 PM, Gerry Houlder wrote:
> There are a lot of configuration questions that affect the response in
> your situation.
>
> (1) Are Logical unit 0 and logical Unit 1 two separate disk drives, or
> are they two virtual logical units that are on the same physical
> drive? This determines whether the commands for each LUN are treated
> separately or whether the commands are treated as if they are all for
> the same device.
[MM]: It is a single device and two virtual logical units are there.

> (2) The standard terms for power down options are "idle" or "standby".
> Which of these do you mean by sleep/power down? Recovery behavior is
> usually different for idle versus standby.
[MM]: In terms of UFS, there are four power modes: Active, Idle, Sleep
and Power Down. As per UFS specification, in Sleep and Power Down mode,
only START STOP UNIT and REQUEST SENSE commands are supported.
	   In sleep mode, power consumption is in between the Active
mode and Power Down mode. Idle mode indicates, there are no commands are
processed by the device and power down mode is the maximum power saving
mode.

> (3) What are the setting in the CCF_IDLE and CCF_STANDBY fields of the
> power Condition mode page? These settings determine the recovery
> behavior from idle and standby conditions, respectively, and may
> result in either transitioning to active and processing an incoming
> command or responding with CHECK CONDITION status to an incoming command.
[MM]: In UFS, Power condition mode page is not supported. Power mode can
be changed only with the START STOP UNIT command.