Obsoleting Log Page Thresholding work (14-249)

Kevin D Butt kdbutt at us.ibm.com
Wed Nov 12 13:51:18 PST 2014

Formatted message: <a href="http://www.t10.org/cgi-bin/ac.pl?t=r&f=r1411123_f.htm">HTML-formatted message</a>

During last weeks CAP, Ralph presented a proposal to obsolete thresholding
(14-249r1).  IBM supported removing the ETC bit and the TMC field but did
not support removing the Threshold values and the Default threshold values
|from the Page control (PC) field.  I was given the task of coming back
with a proposal for how to accomplish the obsoletion of ETC and TMC but
still keep the threshold values in the page control field.
After discussing this with my engineers, we would like to keep Ralph's
good work with the exception of instead of obsoleting the Threshold values
and the Default threshold values from the Page control (PC) field they
instead be made vendor-specific.  This solves the problem of backward
compatibility to anybody who might have used them as specified in SPC-4
and still allows our use of them.
Does anybody object to this course of action?
Thanks,
Kevin D. Butt
SCSI Architect, Tape Firmware, T10 Standards
Data Protection & Retention
MS 6TYA, 9000 S. Rita Rd., Tucson, AZ 85744
Tel: 520-799-5280
Fax: 520-799-2723 (T/L:321)
Email address: kdbutt at us.ibm.com