Planning a proposal to obsolete EER and DCR bits

Gerry Houlder gerry.houlder at seagate.com
Mon Mar 24 11:33:55 PDT 2014

Formatted message: <a href="http://www.t10.org/cgi-bin/ac.pl?t=r&f=r1403241_f.htm">HTML-formatted message</a>

Hi,
I am planning to write a proposal to obsolete the EER and DCR bits in the
Read Write Recovery mode page (Verify Recovery page would be affected
also). I believe these have outlived their usefulness.
For disks (both HDD and SSD) most implementations ignore the EER bit today.
For DCR, most implementations might disable their most extreme error
correction steps (e.g., erasure pointer steps) but no one disables all ECC
type correction steps like the standard says today. Rather than fix that
wording, I would rather obsolete the bit entirely.
If anyone has a convincing reason against obsoleting these bits, please
contact me either directly or on the reflector.