Five Step Plan for a less weighty SPC-5

Kevin D Butt kdbutt at us.ibm.com
Mon Jun 30 13:32:07 PDT 2014

Formatted message: <a href="http://www.t10.org/cgi-bin/ac.pl?t=r&f=r1406300_f.htm">HTML-formatted message</a>

Some of my engineers are asking why we don't pare down SPC-5 by also
pulling out into separate documents the following sections which in their
minds technically doesn't really belong in SPC.
Document 1: Annex F (Numeric order codes) and Annex G (T10 vendor
identification) The additional sense codes table in section 4 should also
be removed.  Section 4 is sorted alphabetically and Annex F is sorted
numerically, so it is the same stuff anyway.  The section 4, Sense Data,
should point to this new document instead of listing them all.	Most
people go to the web to get this information anyway.
Document 2: Third Party Copy - all of it.  The model, the VPD, the
commands, etc.
Document 3: Well Known Logical Units are its' own device type.	This
should be in a different standard that is stand-alone.
Kevin D. Butt
SCSI Architect, Tape Firmware, T10 Standards
Data Protection & Retention
MS 6TYA, 9000 S. Rita Rd., Tucson, AZ 85744
Tel: 520-799-5280
Fax: 520-799-2723 (T/L:321)
Email address: kdbutt at us.ibm.com
http://www-03.ibm.com/servers/storage/