Fwd: SAM-5: copy manager seldom an application client

Joe Breher Joe.Breher at hgst.com
Thu Jul 31 13:10:09 PDT 2014

Formatted message: <a href="http://www.t10.org/cgi-bin/ac.pl?t=r&f=r1407312_f.htm">HTML-formatted message</a>

Oops - I sent the below to John, rather than the reflector.
From: Joe Breher <joe.breher at hgst.com>
Subject: Re: SAM-5: copy manager seldom an application client
Date: July 31, 2014 1:53:26 PM MDT
To: John Lohmeyer <lohmeyer at t10.org<mailto:lohmeyer at t10.org>>
Certainly, there have been devices made, which incorporate a Copy Manager
derived from both the Device Server and the Application Client. Indeed, I
implemented such a device -- which had a non-negligible market presence --
back when EXTENDED COPY was a new thing. Of course, that was in a previous
life, and I've not integrated a copy manager in a device in some time.
I suppose T10 could entertain a proposal to make the change as suggested. I'd
need to see a more persuasive argument however.
Note that spc3r37 Figure 17 enumerates _examples_ of copy manager
configurations. As such, so inference should be made that the figure contains
an exhaustive catalog of all possible copy manager configurations.
More germane, however, is that Figure 17 illustrates a number of _system_
configurations - not _device_ configurations. Note that the various dashed
and dotted lines are transports. As such, the 'things' interconnected by
these transports are probably best thought of as separate devices.
Accordingly, the labels given to each of these 'things' -- of Application
Client, Device Server, and Copy Manager -- reflect more the roles that each
of these devices are playing in the illustrated configuration, rather than
objects in relation to each other within a given device.
Joe Breher
(478) 2-Breher
(478) 227-3437
This e-mail may contain confidential or legally privileged information of
HGST. If you are not the intended recipient, please notify us immediately by
responding to this e-mail and then deleting it from your system.