Proposal posted for discussion of caching control bits in SBC-4

Ballard, Curtis C (HP Storage) curtis.ballard at hp.com
Tue Jan 7 10:10:04 PST 2014

Formatted message: <a href="http://www.t10.org/cgi-bin/ac.pl?t=r&f=r1401070_f.htm">HTML-formatted message</a>

I've recently had the opportunity to delve into an investigation of how all
of the caching control and reporting bits in SBC-3 are supposed to function
and interact.
I found conflicting interpretations for the intent of the WCE (write cache
enable) bit in the caching mode page and was unable to reach a conclusion
about a preferred interpretation from the existing SBC-3 text.	After some
research on the history of the caching page and the use of this bit I
concluded that I think the intent is for the WCE bit to only control volatile
cache so I have posted a proposal with some suggested text clarifications to
use as a springboard for open discussion of the intent and preference of the
CAP working group.
Curtis Ballard
Software Architect
HP Storage