VPD pages and multiple-protocol target ports

Knight, Frederick Frederick.Knight at netapp.com
Wed Jul 31 10:04:06 PDT 2013

Formatted message: <a href="http://www.t10.org/cgi-bin/ac.pl?t=r&f=r1307312_f.htm">HTML-formatted message</a>

I would expect them to be different ports.  The iSCSI port and the FCoE port
are connected to DIFFERENT SCSI domains.  Consider EXTENDED COPY, for that to
work, the two ports MUST have different relative port IDs.
If the device receives a page 83h INQUIRY via the FCoE port, I would expect
it to return info about the FCoE port.	If it receives a page 83h INQUIRY via
the iSCSI port, I would expect it to return info about the iSCSI port.	If
I'm a host and I send an INQUIRY command to what I know is an FC port looking
for port specific information (such as the FC WWPortName), and I get back a
response that includes iSCSI specific stuff (such as the SCSI name string),
then I'm going to call that device broken.
I'm not quite sure how "the target port on which the INQUIRY command was
received" can be understood to return information about two different ports
(and FCoE port and an iSCSI port); given that the command would have been
received over only one of those SCSI domain into only one of those two ports.
Of course, as George pointed out, page 88h is different; it is supposed to
return multiple different structures with multiple different types of
information (for all the different ports - either known to the device server,
or known to the whole target - depending on which LUN received the command).
		Fred