Discrepancy for NAA in "T10/BSR INCITS 513, Revision 36h, 13 July 2013, Information technology -SCSI Primary Commands - 4 (SPC-4)"

Dave Baldwin Dave.Baldwin at Emulex.Com
Wed Jul 24 14:12:43 PDT 2013

Formatted message: <a href="http://www.t10.org/cgi-bin/ac.pl?t=r&f=r1307249_f.htm">HTML-formatted message</a>
Attachment #1: <a href="http://www.t10.org/cgi-bin/ac.pl?t=r&f=r1307249_image001.gif">image001.gif</a>

After some more research on T11 specs, I believe we should be using the
following definition
NAA is Network_Address_Authority.
John has found some interesting conflicts in older FC-PHx documents, but
these have been clarified in later specifications.
I see in the original FC-PH that the definitions include NAA as
Network_Address_Authority.
3.1.100. Network_Address_Authority (NAA):
An organization such as CCITT or IEEE which administers network addresses
(see 19.3).
3.1.101. Network_Address_Authority (NAA) identifier:
A four bit identifier defined in FC-PH to indicate a
Network_Address_Authority (NAA) (see 19.3).
FC-FS-3 has these in the definitions:
3.1.89 Network_Address_Authority (NAA): An organization such as IEEE that
administers network addresses (see clause 17).
3.1.90 Network_Address_Authority (NAA) identifier: A four-bit identifier
defined to indicate a Network_Address_Authority (NAA) (see clause 17).
And this in the glossary:
NAA	  Network_Address_Authority
And from FC-LS-2:
3.2.84 Network_Address_Authority (NAA): An organization such as IEEE that
administers network addresses (see FC-FS-2).
3.2.85 Network_Address_Authority (NAA) identifier: A four-bit identifier
defined to indicate a Network_Address_Authority (NAA) (see FC-FS-2).
The new FC-FS-4 and FC-LS-3 draft documents have equivalent definitions.
So it is clear that T11 has been using Network_Address_Authority consistently
for many years. T10 should do the same.
Regards,
Dave
Dave Baldwin
3333 Susan Street
Costa Mesa, CA 92626
[Emulex]<http://www.emulex.com/&gt;
This message contains Emulex confidential information intended only for
specific recipients and is not to be forwarded to anyone else. If you have
received this message in error, please delete it immediately. Thank you.