Question about CLEAR TASK SET and ABORT TASK SET

Mark Evans Mark.Evans at wdc.com
Wed Jan 16 09:22:29 PST 2013

Formatted message: <a href="http://www.t10.org/cgi-bin/ac.pl?t=r&f=r1301162_f.htm">HTML-formatted message</a>

Hi Gerry,
I was wrong in what I wrote about ABORT TASK SET.  That TMF aborts all
commands received on an I_T nexus.  If TST is set to 001b, this means all
tasks in that particular task set.
Unfortunately, the new definition for CLEAR TASK SET in SAM-2 makes it so
that, when TST is set to 001b, the only way to abort all tasks in all task
sets is by sending a LOGICAL UNIT RESET.  This TMF potentially causes lots of
other stuff to happen besides just aborting all commands in all task sets.
Maybe we should define a new TMF and modify what definitions we have such
that there is a true TMF hierarchy:
1)     ABORT TASK aborts a specific task from a specific I_T nexus;
2)     ABORT I_T NEXUS aborts all tasks from a specific I_T nexus, regardless
of task set;
3)     ABORT TASK SET aborts all tasks in a task set, regardless of I_T
nexus;
4)     CLEAR TASK SET aborts all tasks from all I_T nexuses, regardless of
task set; and
5)     LOGICAL UNIT RESET aborts all tasks from all I_T nexuses, regardless
of task set, and may cause lots of other stuff to happen.
Please feel free to call or send an email to me with any comments or
questions that you have about this stuff.
Regards,
Mark Evans
Western Digital Corporation
5863 Rue Ferrari