Question about CLEAR TASK SET and ABORT TASK SET

Mark Evans Mark.Evans at wdc.com
Tue Jan 15 15:35:53 PST 2013

Formatted message: <a href="http://www.t10.org/cgi-bin/ac.pl?t=r&f=r1301151_f.htm">HTML-formatted message</a>

Hi Gerry,
Someplace along the line I think we got off the beam.  Here is some text from
SAM-1 with some comments:
a)     "An ABORT TASK SET function terminates all tasks for the initiator on
the specified task set of the target."	However, there is no definition in
SAM-1 as to what a "specified task set" is or how it's defined.  The TST
field wasn't defined until SPC-2r2 over two years later; and
b)    "The CLEAR TASK SET function terminates all tasks for all initiators on
the specified task set of the target."	Again, there is no definition in
SAM-1 as to what a "specified task set" is.
It seems to me that, since there wasn't any definition of what a "specified
task set" was, that the intent was as you described it, and, I think how many
of us understand it (i.e., CLEAR TASK SET clears all commands for all
initiators).
It looks like this stuff stayed out of sync, with the final insult being a
change that was made in SAM-4r12 based on proposal 06-026r4 from Rob Elliot.
Maybe Rob can reconcile all of this, but it looks to me like we need to
change the definitions in SAM-5 to something like:
7.3 ABORT TASK SET
This function shall be supported by all logical units.
If the task manager maintains one task set for all I_T nexuses as specified
by the TST field in the Control mode page (see SPC-4), then the task manager
shall abort all commands in the task set (i.e., the equivalent of a CLEAR
TASK SET task management function).  If the task manager maintains one task
set for each I_T nexus as specified by the TST field, then the task manager
shall abort all commands in the task set that were received on the specified
I_T nexus.
All pending status and sense data for the commands that were aborted shall be
cleared. Other previously established conditions, including mode parameters,
reservations, and ACA shall not be changed by the ABORT TASK SET function.
All SCSI transport protocol standards shall support the ABORT TASK SET task
management function.
7.5 CLEAR TASK SET
This function shall be supported by all logical units.
The task manager shall abort all commands in all task sets as described in
5.6.
All pending status and sense data for the task set shall be cleared. Other
previously established conditions, including mode parameters, reservations,
and ACA shall not be changed by the CLEAR TASK SET function.
All SCSI transport protocol standards shall support the CLEAR TASK SET task
management function.
Please feel free to call or send an email to me with any comments or
questions that you have about this stuff.
Regards,
Mark Evans
Western Digital Corporation
5863 Rue Ferrari