Data Out residual overflow/underflow handling

Gerry Houlder gerry.houlder at seagate.com
Fri Sep 21 10:11:13 PDT 2012

Formatted message: <a href="http://www.t10.org/cgi-bin/ac.pl?t=r&f=r1209211_f.htm">HTML-formatted message</a>

Definitely go for case 2 (CHECK CONDITION status with appropriate sense
bytes). Writing dummy data to areas of user data without explicit command
of the host is asking for big trouble. Mismatches between data transfer
length required by the SCSI command bytes and the transfer length in other
fields of the command PDU are indications of great confusion by the host --
such host commands should be considered insane and should not be obeyed.
The first imperative of a storage peripheral should be "first, do no harm".
Another case similar to case 1 that you ALSO SHOULD NOT CONSIDER is to
require the target to merge the 512 bytes into the first 512 bytes of the
LBA and retain the existing data for the rest of the LBA (turning the
operation into a read-modify-write operation). This is more reasonable
(than the dummy data choice) in terms of respecting the integrity of
existing user data but still likely to end up as "doing the wrong thing".