Behavior of TEST UNIT READY command in idle and standby power conditions

Pat LaVarre p.lavarre at ieee.org
Tue Nov 27 10:12:53 PST 2012

Formatted message: <a href="http://www.t10.org/cgi-bin/ac.pl?t=r&f=r1211273_f.htm">HTML-formatted message</a>

@ If there is a convergence of opinion, ...
Me, I've voted to ship both choices, in different contexts.
I shipped Test Unit Ready passing with Good status in low power, when I
could spin up fast enough to answer any Read within five seconds.
I shipped Test Unit Ready crashing via Check Condition status and throwing
Kcq's like x20402 Initializing Command Required or the rudely fuzzier x
20400 Cause Not Reportable, when I couldn't spin up fast enough to keep my
mass-market binary-code-only rarely-updated hosts from crashing in response
to my Target's automagic choice to reduce power and wear.
Changing a Target to signal low power by failing Test Unit Ready would
profitlessly bring all the host code crawling out of the woodwork that
doesn't expect that signal and also doesn't need to know about low power.
Changing a Host to poll with Request Sense would profitlessly crash all the
targets that don't expect that poll and don't report low power.
I'd hope that by now we've included plain simple reliable plug-n-pray
signals in the core leading x24 (36) bytes of the main Page of Inquiry to
tell the Host which kind of polling to try or neither.
Polling doesn't reduce power consumption.
Polling with Test Unit Ready can cost more power when the device returns a
Check Condition and then the host adds a Request Sense - so we spend all
the cost of Request Sense anyhow plus the cost of Test Unit Ready.
Polling with Test Unit Ready has been more popular = is now more polite -
than polling with Request Sense, which has been more often tested only
immediately after a Check Condition as part of clearing the Contingent
Allegiance. In my circles we spoke of, and sneered at, Unsolicited Request
Sense as being a Request Sense after status other than Check Condition.
Polling with Test Unit Ready is simpler = more reliable = more polite:
normally just Cdb and Good Status, abnormally Cdb and Check Condition
Status, never any Data to negotiate.