12-402 feedback

Gerry Houlder gerry.houlder at seagate.com
Thu Nov 1 11:31:08 PDT 2012

Formatted message: <a href="http://www.t10.org/cgi-bin/ac.pl?t=r&f=r1211011_f.htm">HTML-formatted message</a>

I agree with the need for that distinction. That is why there is a new
REASSIGN STATUS code value to distinguish foreground unrecovered errors
|from background unrecovered errors. I did not bother to add other code
values to distinguish foreground recovered errors because once they are
recovered there is no further action required of a host and the issue
becomes moot.
Also keep in mind that all foreground recovered errors are supposed to be
reported to the host as either a current error (the CHECK CONDITION status
is returned on the command with the unrecovered error) or a deferred error.
Adding foreground unrecovered errors to this list provides a convenience to
the host in that there is only on place that has to be examined to find all
of the unrecovered error sites that the device server knows about,
regardless of how the errors were detected.
I do concede that there might be different categories of foreground
unrecovered errors that could be accounted for. This would suggest the
possible need for two or more REASSIGN STATUS codes to distinguish
different foreground error sources. I am open to suggestions for such
additional categories but don't see any useful distinctions at the moment.