Proposal to add a new external cable variant to SAS-3 Physical

Olawsky, Barry Barry.Olawsky at hp.com
Tue Mar 20 06:20:36 PDT 2012

Formatted message: <a href="http://www.t10.org/cgi-bin/ac.pl?t=r&f=r1203200_f.htm">HTML-formatted message</a>
Attachment #1: <a href="http://www.t10.org/cgi-bin/ac.pl?t=r&f=r1203200_image001.png">image001.png</a>
Attachment #2: <a href="http://www.t10.org/cgi-bin/ac.pl?t=r&f=r1203200_image002.jpg">image002.jpg</a>

Gourgen,
My interpretation of the identifier table value is that it applies ONLY to
the end directly connected. Your table 19 proposal appears to expand the
scope of the identifier table entries to the characteristics of the entire
assembly. We already have the "Far Side Managed" parameter (byte 110, bit 3)
indicating that the far-end side of the cable is NOT managed. Why do we need
another bit?
Barry