Question about Task Management Function effect on Sanitize

Gerry Houlder gerry.houlder at seagate.com
Thu Jul 12 11:20:56 PDT 2012

Formatted message: <a href="http://www.t10.org/cgi-bin/ac.pl?t=r&f=r1207120_f.htm">HTML-formatted message</a>

Hi there,
The sanitize model has a statement that task management functions do not
affect sanitize operations. I'm that everyone was thinking in terms of
sanitize operations being a background operation (i.e., would be used with
IMMED =1) so that makes total sense.
What if SANITIZE is being run with IMMED = 0? An ABORT TASK or ABORT TASK
SET would abort the command but normally aborting a command will abort the
underlying operation of that command as well. The standard as written would
relieve the device server from having to return status for the sanitize
command ever but the sanitize operation continues. This is consistent with
what the standard requires for a power cycle, but I just wanted to check
that this agrees with what other T10 members think is the correct action.