Minutes of August 10 Teleconference
WHubis at fusionio.com
Fri Aug 24 12:30:03 PDT 2012
* From the T10 Reflector (t10 at t10.org), posted by:
* Walter Hubis <WHubis at fusionio.com>
<Sorry for the delay in getting these notes out - WAH>
At 10:00PST on August 10, 2012, Fusion-io hosted a T10 conference call to
present document 12-332r0, "Non-Volatile Memory Based Storage". The goal of
the call was to establish the best ways to incorporate the new features and
functionality that NVM combined with PCIe into the existing T10 SCSI
specifications. The key points:
- The meeting lasted an hour with around 40 participants.
- Walt Hubis (Fusion-io) presented 12-332-r0.
- There was a great deal of discussion about the proposal and how to move
forward - about half of the meeting.
- There was no support for a new SCSI device type.
- The almost unanimous consensus was that a combination of modifications to
existing commands along with some new commands would be the right way to
- The difficulty with the banded drive proposal was single out an example of
why a new class would not be a good way to proceed.
- Concerns were voiced that a new device type will break a lot of SCSI driver
- The next step is for Fusion-io to prepare a proposal that describes how we
propose to implement the primitives in the existing specifications.
(1) Use WRITE SAME to implement Persistent TRIM.
(2) Recommendation to refer to PERSISTENT TRIM as DETERMINISTIC TRIM.
(3) Add a new type of provisioning to accommodate these needs.
(4) Prepare a presentation detailing Scattered Atomic Writes use case,
where not all of the segments are atomic.
- It was recommended that this be presented to T13 (ATA), as there will be
side effects in the SCSI/ATA Translation layer (SAT).
<Not a complete list - please let me know if you want your attendance
Mr. HengLiang Zhang Futurewei Technologies Inc
Mr. Roy Clark EMC Corporation
Mr. Paul Suhler Quantum Corporation
Mr. Don Harwood OCZ Technology Group Inc
Mr. Chris Fore NetApp
Dr. Peter Onufryk Integrated Device Technology (IDT)
Mr. Dan Colegrove HGST
Mr. Jim Hatfield Seagate Technology
Mr. Gerald Houlder Seagate Technology
Mr. Stephen Finch Western Digital Corporation
Mr. John Geldman Lexar Media Inc
Mr. John Merrill Intel Corporation
Mr. David Black EMC Corprotation
Mr. Frederick Knight NetApp
Mr. Walt Hubis Fusion-io Corporation
Storage Standards Architect
Phone: (+1) 303.641.8528
Email: whubis at fusionio.com
This e-mail (and any attachments) is confidential and may be privileged. Any
unauthorized use, copying, disclosure or dissemination of this communication
is prohibited. If you are not the intended recipient, please notify the
sender immediately and delete all copies of the message and its attachments.
* For T10 Reflector information, send a message with
* 'info t10' (no quotes) in the message body to majordomo at t10.org
More information about the T10