[MtFuji] Safe shut down method

Eschmann, Michael K michael.k.eschmann at intel.com
Tue Sep 13 10:05:44 PDT 2011

* "Eschmann, Michael K" <michael.k.eschmann at intel.com>
*
Hello Katata-san,
If these questions are framed in response to my inquiry about proper system
shutdown when media is present then these problems are not an issue since the
host OS already has to handle having media in the drive on a subsequent
power-on.   My previous inquiry to this condition was specific to how the
media or drive would not be damaged in this case since comments were made at
previous Mt.Fuji meetings that indicated there was an issue with media or
drive damage.	At the August 2011 meeting the issue was framed as an issue
of data loss, not media or drive damage.   My first inquiry is to determine
the proper shutdown procedures necessary for the drive when media is present.
If the questions are relative to a S4/Hibernation then the OS also has the
responsibility of handling new media being changed or inserted while the
system was powered off using the emergency eject mechanism, and this case is
also currently handled by the OS.   The shutdown issue is similar to that
described in the system shutdown paragraph shown above.
The unique case is if the system is running and the drive is powered off and
then back on at some later time.  In this case it would be the host OS
responsibility to handle the device becoming ready, which means being ready
to handle items 2 and 3 that are listed below.	For ZPODD without media the
OS already has to handle the Unit Attention indicating " LOGICAL UNIT IS IN
PROCESS OF BECOMING READY", so extending this to media present would be
trivial.
This subject brings up two related questions for Mt.Fuji:
a. Would the Unit Attention indicating "NOT READY TO READY CHANGE, MEDIUM MAY
HAVE CHANGED" only happen when medium was changed while the drive was powered
off, or will it always happen?
b. Is the stated "1 minutes length to be ready with the installed disk" a
boundary condition?   I don't believe Intel has seen the device come ready in
that long of period of time.   If this is more common than what Intel has
observed then we'd need to establish a minimum detection period on power-on
when media is present.
Regards, MKE