Format Unit SI bit

Penokie, George George.Penokie at lsi.com
Tue Jun 7 09:01:56 PDT 2011

Formatted message: <a href="http://www.t10.org/cgi-bin/ac.pl?t=r&f=r1106071_f.htm">HTML-formatted message</a>

You are both right and wrong.
What happen when the SI bit is set depends on the customers specification. Is
some cases the intent may that the device be totally inoperable (think the
helicopter and all electronics need to be destroyed). In less radical
conditions the drive may come back usable with data scrubbed off.
At the time this was put in there was no agreement by the committee as to how
scrubbed the data had to be, again that was intended to be left up to the
customers specification.
Bye for now,
George Penokie
LSI Corporation