11-036r9 Reserved Bits in TTIU

Stephen Finch Stephen.Finch at wdc.com
Mon Jul 25 09:43:28 PDT 2011

Formatted message: <a href="http://www.t10.org/cgi-bin/ac.pl?t=r&f=r1107252_f.htm">HTML-formatted message</a>

In the past, we have stated that reserved bits are set to zero and ignored
by the receiver.  This is to limit the checking by the receiver, but more
importantly, to allow these fields to be used in future generations of a
standard.
In 11-036 (approved for SPL-2), the reserved bits in the TTIU must be
checked and, if non-zero, cause an error response to be sent.  This seems to
be inconsistent with past usage of "reserved" and will limit future versions
of this standard if additional bits of the TTIU are needed.
I submit that we should remove the checking of these reserved bits.
Regards,
Stephen Finch
720 864-4751
720 883-1414 (cell)