Adoption of International PIP and SAS-1.1 standards

John Lohmeyer lohmeyer at t10.org
Tue Feb 22 11:02:50 PST 2011

* John Lohmeyer <lohmeyer at t10.org>
*
I have added a T10 agenda item to consider the adoption of two international
standards as ANSI standards:
  IS 14776-121:2010 (PIP)
  IS 14776-151:2010 (SAS-1.1)
T10 has three options:
a) Recommend that these international standards be adopted replacing the
existing ANSI standards (INCITS 368-2003 and INCITS 417-2006)
b) Recommend that these international standards be adopted NOT replacing the
existing ANSI standards
c) Recommend that these international standards NOT be adopted as ANSI
standards.
Of course, the obvious question is, "Are these international standards
different from the existing ANSI standards?" I don't know the answers for
sure, but I believe that the international PIP standard is somewhat
different. Also, the minutes of the November 17, 2009 T10 meeting record the
following motion:
"John Lohmeyer noted that the international PIP project has stalled over a
number of editorial issues. Given that we do not have adequate resources to
resolve the issues and that this technology is becoming obsolete, John
Lohmeyer moved that we recommend that project 1.25.13.11.38, PIP be
withdrawn. Gary Robinson seconded the motion. The motion passed 28:0:0:9=37."
Somehow, ISO/IEC finished the processing of PIP anyway. I recommend that T10
choose option c) for this standard.
T10 hired Ralph Weber to do the conversion of SAS-1.1 to ISO format. I found
the following email from Ralph regarding the conversion:
  http://www.t10.org/ftp/t10/t10r/2008/r0807102.htm
Based on the email, I recommend that T10 choose option a) for this standard.
Please let me know if you disagree with my recommendations.
John
John Lohmeyer		       Email: lohmeyer at t10.org
LSI Corp.		       Voice: +1-719-533-7560
4420 ArrowsWest Dr.		Cell: +1-719-338-1642
Colo Spgs, CO 80907
* 'info t10' (no quotes) in the message body to majordomo at t10.org