Questions on SES specification -> Secondary subenclosures

Elliott, Robert (Server Storage) Elliott at hp.com
Thu Dec 22 17:10:22 PST 2011

Formatted message: <a href="http://www.t10.org/cgi-bin/ac.pl?t=r&f=r1112221_f.htm">HTML-formatted message</a>

Enclosure-to-enclosure communication is vendor-specific; I2C or other
low-speed busses are candidates. They have to coordinate their IDs somehow.
The secondary subenclosure concept is mainly for architectures that don't
provide direct access to the secondary subenclosure; if there is direct
access, then it's a primary subenclosure and need not be secondary to
another.  A dual-domain architecture is possible where two subenclosures are
viewed as primary and secondary from one enclosure services process and
secondary and primary from the other; the ENCLOSURE LOGICAL ID will indicate
if that is the situation.