Questions on SES specification -> Secondary subenclosures

Raj Divecha Raj.Divecha at dothill.com
Tue Dec 20 17:13:00 PST 2011

Formatted message: <a href="http://www.t10.org/cgi-bin/ac.pl?t=r&f=r1112202_f.htm">HTML-formatted message</a>

Hi,
I believe a secondary subenclosure can refer to...
1)	An enclosure that is physically inside a primary enclosure. and
2)	An enclosure that is physically outside a primary enclosure.
It is the primary enclosure that would assign the subenclosure identifier to
various secondary subenclosures. Is the primary enclosure required to
communicate this subenclosure id to a secondary subenclosure? If yes, what is
the recommended mechanism?
Can a secondary subenclosure also have a SES LU visible to the application
client? I assume yes, as the information can be requested using Receive
Diagnostic Results command.
If yes, and if the application client requests enclosure information directly
|from the subenclosure, then should it report subenclosure id as 0 or
non-zero? I assume it should be 0 as it is the primary enclosure for the
information it is reporting.
And, when the primary enclosure is consolidating the enclosure information
|from more than one secondary subenclosure, it will update the subenclosure id
field(s) based on where the information came from. Is this understanding
correct?
Thanks,
Raj