binary format list log parameters and ascii list log parameters

Knight, Frederick Frederick.Knight at netapp.com
Thu Aug 18 12:48:31 PDT 2011

* "Knight, Frederick" <Frederick.Knight at netapp.com>
*
Not at all. If FORMAT AND LINKING says ASCII, and the PARAMETER LENGTH
says 2, then the whole log parameter is 6 bytes in length (containing
all the mandatory header stuff, and then 1 byte of an ASCII parameter
value; followed by one byte of ZERO).
Where are you getting 32 bytes?
My assumption has been that the statement "The FORMAT AND LINKING field
(see table 301) indicates the type of log parameter."
Actually indicates the type of the parameter value.  I assume this
because it seems pretty obvious that it is not talking about all the
fields within the whole log parameter itself (if it was, then they would
all be required to be BINARY, because of the DU/TSD/ETC/TMC binary
fields, and a type of ASCII would be impossible).
And interesting, when you look at 7.3.2.2.2.4:
"The device server shall return LOG SENSE parameter control byte values
and process LOG SELECT parameter control byte values as shown in table
304 for any log parameter that is defined to be an ASCII format (see
4.4.1) list log parameter."
Which contains the reference to 4.4.1 - that describes ASCII data
formats (values 20h to 7Eh).
	Fred