binary format list log parameters and ascii list log parameters

Gerry Houlder gerry.houlder at seagate.com
Wed Aug 17 12:02:24 PDT 2011

Formatted message: <a href="http://www.t10.org/cgi-bin/ac.pl?t=r&f=r1108175_f.htm">HTML-formatted message</a>

The FORMAT & LINKING field applies separately to each parameter. Each
parameter within a page can set this value differently, to reflect the type
of data in that parameter. Each parameter is supposed to be one "thing".
Unfortunately we have sometimes defined "parameters" that have a number of
different fields in it. The intended use is that each of these fields should
be a different parameter but its too late to enforce that now.
Your choice is to either split the parameters into two (or more) parameters,
with the ASCII part in one and the binary part in the other; or just leave
things as they are and expect the host to know that it can't trust the
FORMAT & LINKING field to be a correct description of all of the fields in
the parameter.