binary format list log parameters and ascii list log parameters

Ballard, Curtis C (StorageWorks) curtis.ballard at hp.com
Wed Aug 17 11:17:28 PDT 2011

* "Ballard, Curtis C (StorageWorks)" <curtis.ballard at hp.com>
*
This question came up because SMC-3 leveraged a log page which has parameters
that are not entirely ASCII but sets the FORMAT AND LINKING field to 01b,
ASCII format list.  We're trying to figure out whether to change to match
what we think the FORMAT AND LINKING should be and be inconsistent with
existing implementations that may be able to be leveraged but set the field
differently or leave the field as is.
The implication is that the ASCII format list log parameter value is all
ASCII but I can't find anything in SPC-4 (r31) that says what the PARAMETER
VALUE field of an ASCII format list log parameter contains. The closest
statement I found is the definition but that is never referenced from any of
the text describing the log parameter so it is a bit tricky to find and even
that doesn't really say the PARAMETER VALUE is ASCII data, it just says the
parameter 'contains' ASCII data.
"3.1.11 ASCII format list log parameter: a log parameter that contains ASCII
data in a list format. See 7.3.2.2.2.4"
Table 301 specifies the log parameter type as indicated by the FORMAT AND
LINKING field.
"01b --- ASCII format list --- 7.3.2.2.2.4"
Section 7.3.2.2.2.4 is only defining the parameter control byte and doesn't
define what is allowed to be in the PARAMETER VALUE field of an ASCII format
log parameter.
The best reference I can find in that section is:
"any log parameter that is defined to be an ASCII format (see 4.4.1) list log
parameter"
But section 4.4.1 never defines what it means to be an "ASCII format".	That
section is all about ASCII data fields and the sentence with that reference
is about a log parameter, not a data field.  Table 299 defines the log
parameter as containing fields and bits that aren't ASCII so it isn't clear
what the reference is intending to clarify.
I think this paragraph should reference back to 3.1.11 after 'parameter' and
probably not reference 4.4.1.
The table that says how to fill in the FORMAT AND LINKING field sends you
back to table 301 and we start all over again.
I believe that the intent was probably something like "the PARAMETER VALUE
field of a ASCII format list log parameter is an ASCII data field (see
4.4.1)" but I can't prove that from the text I have.
Curtis Ballard
Hewlett Packard