SMC-3 element static and volume static data

Michael Banther Michael.Banther at arkivum.com
Tue Aug 9 05:27:36 PDT 2011

Formatted message: <a href="http://www.t10.org/cgi-bin/ac.pl?t=r&f=r1108090_f.htm">HTML-formatted message</a>

Hi Curtis, .et.al
Is the intention of the element and volume static descriptors to be really
static, i.e. the will never change, or will their contents be static the same
way that inquiry data is static, i.e. it may change infrequently?  I've
looked through smc-3r15, and it looks to me like it doesn't allow for any
change in the static data.  For instance I didn't see any references to
establishing a unit attention condition if element or volume static data
changed.
However I can wonder if some sort of on-the-fly reconfiguration of a library
might not result in at least the element static information changing.
Just curious as, of course, I haven't been in on the conversation in a number
of years.
All the Best,
Michael